Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cranberry Relish--A Family Favorite


(not my picture, I will upload a pic when I get home but it looks similar)

I love Thanksgiving Dinner...it's one of the meals I look forward to all year long.  You always know what you are going to have--turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, fruit salad, pumpkin pie, apple pie, etc.  One of our family favorites that we only have twice a year (the other being at Christmas) is Cranberry Relish.  My husband never had it before we met, but since then it's become one of his favorite holiday foods.  The meals aren't complete without it.  I thought I would spread the joy of the Cranberry Relish and hope you all enjoy!

Cranberry Relish


2 packages Strawberry Jell-O
1 box/bag of cranberries, finely ground
Equal amount peeled apples, finely ground (we use Macintosh but you can use whatever apple you like)
1 cup nuts (walnut or pecans), chopped
Up to 3 cups Sugar

In a large bowl, add only hot water (2 cups) to Jell-O. Stir until dissolved. Place in refrigerator until cooled, stirring often.

When Jell-O begins to cool, ground the cranberries and apples, be sure not to do this too early or your apples will turn brown. After the Jell-O has cooled and begins to set, mix in cranberries, apples, and nuts.

Add up to 3 cups of sugar to taste. The tartness of the cranberries and type of apple will determine how much you need to add.

Let the mixture set-up and stir.

*Best when made 2 days in advance. Can easily be doubled (we always do).



1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so going to try this! It sounds so yummy!